Our research focuses on the health issues of blindness, cancer and drug abuse, which have huge socioeconomic implications. Our lab applies engineering principles to advance our understanding of the interactions of therapeutic nanoparticle platforms with biological barriers and disease pathophysiology. This knowledge guides us to better design new biomaterials and nanotherapeutic-based treatments for eye disorders, cancer and other diseases. Our research program operates at the interface of nanoengineering, materials science, and translational medicine. We aim to translate technologies to have a meaningful impact on human health.
Big congratulations to Tuo (Emma) Meng for winning both Thakker Award and Schwartz Award, and to John Kwon for winning the Best Poster Award (PharmD) at VCU School of Pharmacy Research and Career day. 10/24/2019
The first stage $1.6m for 2 years of our multi-PI NIH/NIDA UG3 grant ( total 5 years) was funded to develop novel treatments for opioid use disorder. Congratulations to all our co-PIs and collaborators (Charles Okeeffe, Gerry Moeller, Matthew Halquist, Xiuling Lu).
Dr. Qingguo Xu will serve as the vice chair for the Controlled Release Society (CRS) Ocular Delivery Focus Group. CRS is the home for experts dedicated to delivery science, including delivery scientists, engineers, clinicians, and technical professionals. The next annual meeting is at Las Vegas #seeyouinVegas2020. 8/20/2019
We welcome Hadi Sudarjat to join our lab as a PhD student in Pharmaceutical Sciences program, and Hadi was awardee of the prestigious FullBright Scholar funded by the American Indonesian Exchange Foundation. 8/12/2019
It is a big honor for Dr. Qingguo Xu being named as a Blick Scholar. There are 4 Blick Scholars for the term of 2019-2023. It is made possible by the George and Lavinia Blick Research Fund, an endowment designated for supporting medical research conducted on the MCV Campus of Virginia Commonwealth University. We greatly appreciate the support from the committee and the MCV foundation. " 07/01/2019
John Kwon, P2 PharmD student, joined our lab as a VCU SoP Summer Research Fellow. John’s research is to develop new method for treating glaucoma. Congratulations and Welcome! 07/01/2018
Russell Simmers, a rising junior undergraduate in the VCU Honors College and a undergraduate researcher in Xu's Nanotherapeutics Research lab since 2018, was among 6 to 12 students accepted to the VCU guaranteed admissions program for the VCU School of Medicine. Big Congratulations! 06/17/19
Dr. Xu is selected as the 2019 CRS Ocular Delivery Focus Group Young Investigator at the CRS annual meeting. The 2019 Controlled Release Society Annual Meeting & Exposition will be held from July 21st-24th, in Valencia, Spain. Thanks for the support from the committee. 06/03/20
Our invited keynote review paper "Therapeutic implications of nanomedicine for ocular drug delivery" to Drug Discovery Today (IF: 6.85) was published. Congratulations to Tuo (Emma), Vineet, Russell and Vikram. 5/15/2019
Tuo (Emma) Meng, the first year PhD student in pharmaceutics, won the biennial Lowenthal Award for Graduate Research. This award is given every other year to an outstanding first year or second year VCU School of Pharmacy Ph.D. student, who will be conducting doctoral research in genetically-based neurological disorders. The awardee will receive a stipend supplement of $10,000 over a two-year period. Congratulations to Emma! We are grateful for Dr. Hilda Meth's very generous support! 4/25/2019
- Fangfang and Emma’s paper "Fenofibrate-Loaded Biodegradable Nanoparticles for the Treatment of Experimental Diabetic Retinopathy and Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration" was accepted by Molecular Pharmaceutics. This is the first collaborated research publication between Xu lab at VCU and Dr. Jian-xing Ma's lab at OUHSC. 3/26/2019
A feature story about Dr. Xu, 2018 ORAU Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Awardee, is on ORAU website. 3/20/2019
- We welcome Dr. Guihong Chai, to join us as a postdoc fellow. Dr. Chai received his PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences from Zhejiang University and was a postdoc fellow at Purdue University School of Pharmacy before joining our lab. 3/18/2019
- We welcome Erica Karolina Sjöholm, PharmD, to join our lab as a visiting PhD student. Erica got a prestigious research grant from Åbo Akademi University, Finland, to carry out a 6-month collaborative research. 3/16/2019
- We welcome Jinhua Zheng, MD, to join our lab as a Postdoc fellow. Dr. Zheng got her MD with specialty training in Ophthalmology from Guizhou Medical University, China.
- Dr. Xu received the Association of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics (AOPT) Young Investigator Travel Award, and he will give an oral presentation at the 14th Scientific Meeting of AOPT, New Orleans, March 7-10, 2019.
- Tuo (Emma) Meng was accepted to attend the NIH-funded Training in Neurotherapeutics Discovery and Development for Academic Scientists course March 25-28, 2019 at Rockville, MD. Congratulations!
- Lisa’s paper "Controlled release of corticosteroid with biodegradable nanoparticles for treating experimental autoimmune uveitis" was accepted by Journal of Controlled Release. 1/15/2019
- Bing and Yating’s paper “Controlled release of dexamethasone sodium phosphate with biodegradable nanoparticles for preventing experimental corneal neovascularization” was accepted by Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine. 1/11/2019
- We welcome Jian Chen, PhD as a postdoc fellow. Dr. Chen received his PhD in Pharmaceutical Engineering from Central South University, China.
- Dr. Sooyoung Kim was selected as the VCU School of Pharmacy 2018 Research Day Postdoc Runner Up to recognize her outstanding performance at poster presentation. Congratulation!
- Dr. Xu was invited to serve on the Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences (JPharmSci®) Editorial Advisory Board (EAB) for a three-year term January 1, 2019-December 31, 2021
- Dr. Xu is selected to join the 2019 AAPS PharmSci 360 Scientific Programming Committee
- Dr. Xu receives a 3-year FDA grant as co-PI