Our research focuses on the health issues of blindness, cancer and drug abuse, which have huge socioeconomic implications. Our lab applies engineering principles to advance our understanding of the interactions of therapeutic nanoparticle platforms with biological barriers and disease pathophysiology. This knowledge guides us to better design new biomaterials and nanotherapeutic-based treatments for eye disorders, cancer and other diseases. Our research program operates at the interface of nanoengineering, materials science, and translational medicine. We aim to translate technologies to have a meaningful impact on human health.
Our invited keynote review paper "Therapeutic implications of nanomedicine for ocular drug delivery" to Drug Discovery Today (IF: 6.85) was published. Congratulations to Tuo (Emma), Vineet, Russell and Vikram. 5/15/2019
Tuo (Emma) Meng, the first year PhD student in pharmaceutics, won the biennial Lowenthal Award for Graduate Research. This award is given every other year to an outstanding first year or second year VCU School of Pharmacy Ph.D. student, who will be conducting doctoral research in genetically-based neurological disorders. The awardee will receive a stipend supplement of $10,000 over a two-year period. Congratulations to Emma! We are grateful for Dr. Hilda Meth's very generous support! 4/25/2019
- Fangfang and Emma’s paper "Fenofibrate-Loaded Biodegradable Nanoparticles for the Treatment of Experimental Diabetic Retinopathy and Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration" was accepted by Molecular Pharmaceutics. This is the first collaborated research publication between Xu lab at VCU and Dr. Jian-xing Ma's lab at OUHSC. 3/26/2019
A feature story about Dr. Xu, 2018 ORAU Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Awardee, is on ORAU website. 3/20/2019
- We welcome Dr. Guihong Chai, to join us as a postdoc fellow. Dr. Chai received his PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences from Zhejiang University and was a postdoc fellow at Purdue University School of Pharmacy before joining our lab. 3/18/2019
- We welcome Erica Karolina Sjöholm, PharmD, to join our lab as a visiting PhD student. Erica got a prestigious research grant from Åbo Akademi University, Finland, to carry out a 6-month collaborative research. 3/16/2019
- We welcome Jinhua Zheng, MD, to join our lab as a Postdoc fellow. Dr. Zheng got her MD with specialty training in Ophthalmology from Guizhou Medical University, China.
- Dr. Xu received the Association of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics (AOPT) Young Investigator Travel Award, and he will give an oral presentation at the 14th Scientific Meeting of AOPT, New Orleans, March 7-10, 2019.
- Tuo (Emma) Meng was accepted to attend the NIH-funded Training in Neurotherapeutics Discovery and Development for Academic Scientists course March 25-28, 2019 at Rockville, MD. Congratulations!
- Lisa’s paper "Controlled release of corticosteroid with biodegradable nanoparticles for treating experimental autoimmune uveitis" was accepted by Journal of Controlled Release. 1/15/2019
- Bing and Yating’s paper “Controlled release of dexamethasone sodium phosphate with biodegradable nanoparticles for preventing experimental corneal neovascularization” was accepted by Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine. 1/11/2019
- We welcome Jian Chen, PhD as a postdoc fellow. Dr. Chen received his PhD in Pharmaceutical Engineering from Central South University, China.
- Dr. Sooyoung Kim was selected as the VCU School of Pharmacy 2018 Research Day Postdoc Runner Up to recognize her outstanding performance at poster presentation. Congratulation!
- Dr. Xu was invited to serve on the Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences (JPharmSci®) Editorial Advisory Board (EAB) for a three-year term January 1, 2019-December 31, 2021
- Dr. Xu is selected to join the 2019 AAPS PharmSci 360 Scientific Programming Committee
- Dr. Xu receives a 3-year FDA grant as co-PI